Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hike Profile: echo canyon (camelback mountain)


This is the one.  Of all the hikes in the Valley of the Sun, this is my favorite.  No matter how many times you hike it, it's always challenging.  It gains over 1,200 feet, and it's under 2.5 miles roundtrip.  It's steep, it's beautiful, and it can be punishing for all abilities, if you want it to be.  There are even rock climibing possibilities in the area from bouldering, to sport routes, to trad routes, to rappelling; it's got it all!  The trailhead is located just east of the intersection of Tatum and McDonald, on the Northwest corner of the mountain.  The one and only downfall of this trail is the CROWDS!  They are awful.  I hike this trail all summer long, in 110 degree heat, and I have it all to myself.....and then it cools off, and then the crowds flock to the mountain.  On some days you may find yourself waiting upwards of 30 minutes for a parking space, just to hike this wonderful trail with underexperienced idiots.  Search and rescue crews visit the mountain weekly during the busy season, always plucking off the latest victim.  I can't help but glare at all the hikers crowding up MY mountain.  I guess the upside is:  summer always returns, and the trail will be empty again.  Aside from that little chip on my shoulder, this hike truly is the best of the best in The Valley.

1 comment:

  1. I have such a love/hate relationship with this hike... beautiful, but hard.

    ReplyDelete