Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING..........Hike Profile: mcdowell mountain superloop!


Happy Thanksgiving to any of you out there that actually check out my blog!  This morning I needed to take some "me" time to go off on a new hiking adventure.  So, I figured out a nice long loop in the McDowells, threw on my shoes, and hit the trail.  The hike started at the Gateway Trailhead.  I started off on the Gateway loop, then linked that to the Windgate Pass trail, which intersected the Tom's Thumb trail, which lead me to the East End trail, which dead-ended into the Bell Pass trail, which finally brought me back to the Gateway loop and the trailhead.  I estimate the total mileage to be around 12 miles, and the whole loop gains about 3000 feet over the course of the entire hike.  There are many of these "superloops" you can create in the McDowells, but this one looked most appealing.  The weather was perfect today, which is typical in Phoenix this time of year.  So under blue skies, with the Ipod fully charged, I knocked this hike out in just under 3 and a half hours.  Cruisin baby.  Now, I feel no regret about stuffing my face full of thanksgiving dinner.

1 comment:

  1. sounds freaking fantastic...miss that crazy ass drive of yours

    ReplyDelete