Saturday, September 26, 2009

Endurathon: McKinley Update


I figured it might be nice to start posting some of the details of the Alaska trip. I am officially registered to climb Mt. McKinley (aka Denali), starting on June 8th of 2010. I will be climbing with a company called Rainier Mountaineering Inc. The cost of my climb is $5,700 dollars, of which I have paid the initial $1,500 deposit. The remaining balance is due in March of 2010, and it cannot be paid by credit card...hence the need for my part time work to get the cash to pay for this thing! The cost does not cover my airline ticket, the majority of my gear, some additional fees here and there, some further transportation considerations, and I need to provide all of my lunches and snacks (RMI provides dinner and breakfast for the trip).

The trip could last anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks, depending on details like weather, the strength of our group, luck, etc. Mt. McKinley is the highest point in Alaska, the highest point in the United States, and the highest point on the entire North American continent. The elevation is approximately 20,320 feet above sea level. I have no doubt that this will be one of the hardest, if not THE hardest, thing I've ever done. I am including a link to Rainier Mountaineering Inc. in case you want to read a little more about the company and what they do. There is much more to talk about, but this will at least begin to fill in the gaps. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment