Monday, September 21, 2009

Hike Profile: squaw peak summit trail


This trail is a Phoenix hiking icon. Located in downtown Phoenix, AZ, this is probably one of the busiest trails around. Despite the crowds, I love this hike. It's about 2.5 miles roundtrip, and it gains about 1100 feet of elevation. The summit is jagged and rocky, the climb is sustained, and the views are great. It's an awesome climb, and a great workout. Also, easily seen from several places around the valley, I think that Squaw Peak is one of the prettiest of the peaks in town. A few years ago it was renamed Piestewa Peak, but it will always be Squaw Peak to me. This one is definitely worth your time, but try to avoid the weekends during "the season", or you'll be waiting a long time to find a parking space.

1 comment:

  1. Aside from the Havasu hike, I think that Squaw Peak was my favorite. It provided a really good workout and proved a breakthrough for me. I was able to make it up with fairly easily, which was a new experience for me.

    ReplyDelete